Tuesday, April 13, 2010

caramel croissant pudding


This is another Nigella Lawson's genius recipe. I introduced my older sister to Nigella and she loves her even more than I do. She makes this recipe about once a month. I love this recipe as much as her, but because she makes it at home, I never felt like doing it myself. But finally, I got the chance to make it this month.

I found that making just one of the below recipe is sooooo unsatisfying! I always double the recipe, put the leftover in the fridge and reheat in the microwave when I want to get a hit.

Caramel croissant pudding
by Nigella Lawson

Ingredients
  • 2 stale croissants
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 2tbsp of water
  • 120mL of heavy cream
  • 2tbsp bourbon
  • 120mL of whole milk
  • 2 eggs, beaten

Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 175°C.
  2. Tear the croissants into pieces and put in a small gratin dish; I use a cast iron oval with a capacity of about 500mL.
  3. Put the sugar and water into a saucepan, and swirl around to help dissolve the sugar before putting the saucepan on the hob over medium to high heat (DO NOT STIR the sugar, swirl only). Caramelize the sugar and water mixture by letting it bubble away until it all turns a deep amber colour; this will take 3 to 5 minutes. Keep looking but don't be too timid.
  4. Take the pan off the heat and add the cream - ignoring all spluttering - followed by the bourbon and milk. Whisk to mix, then still whisking add the beaten eggs. Pour this quickly over the croissants and leave to steep for 10 minutes.
  5. Place in the preheated oven for 20 minutes and prepare to swoon.


I usually have some heavy cream left after finishing this recipe, which I would whip in my blender and serve with the pudding. I also love this pudding with one or two scoop of vanilla ice cream, I find the hot and cold contrast irresistible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I appreciate your constructive feedback and will answer any questions you might have. Comments that are rude, abusive, written with the intent to advertise, contain profanity or considered spam will not be published.

Related Posts with Thumbnails