Tuesday, August 9, 2011

spaghettini with tuna sauce


Another pasta dish I cooked on a weeknight is Antonio Carluccio's pasta with tuna sauce, but this time I didn’t forget to take pics! Yay me! *Pat self on back*

What I found after cooking this dish is that I love tomato-based pasta dishes so much better than non-tomato-based pasta dishes. Love that heartiness, that umami-ness, that sauci-ness.




The surprising ingredient to me is the ginger, I have not used it for cooking Italian food before.




Finely chop all the aromatics: parsley, garlic, capsicum and ginger. Reserve 1 tbsp of parsley for garnish

In a pan (or pot), cook the spaghettini according to the packet’s instruction until al-dente. Drain water, cool with running water, then set aside in a bowl and coat with extra virgin olive oil.




By now, you must know I hate washing up. So, I used the same pan I used above as follows. In the same pan, heat oil in pan over a medium-low heat and sauté the aromatics for a couple of minutes.



Add the tomatoes and cook for another couple of minutes until heated through. Remove oil from the can of tuna, and break the drained tuna chunks with your hands on top of the sauce. Stir delicately to coat every morsel of tuna with the sauce. Season with salt and pepper.



Add the cooked spaghettini. Mix to coat spaghettini in sauce.



Serve topped with a parsley garnish. Look at it, is that not a picture of deliciousness?

I liked it so much, I had the leftover for breakfast the next morning, sprinkled with leftover torn up parsley garnish.

Spaghettini with tuna sauce
Adapted from Antonio Carluccio’s 100 Pasta Recipes

Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 4 tbsp of parsley (3 tbsp for sauce, 1 tbsp for garnish)
  • 4-6 garlic cloves
  • 1 small capsicum (half of a big capsicum)
  • 2 slices of ginger
  • 450g can of chopped tomatoes
  • 400g tin of tuna chunks in oil
  • 375g (a handful) of spaghettini

Method:
  1. Sauté the finely chopped garlic, capsicum, ginger and 3 tablespoons of parsley in some olive oil over a medium-low heat for a couple of minutes until slightly soft. Add the tomatoes and cook until the tomato sauce starts to bubble.
  2. Drain oil from tuna into the sink, break tuna chunks into the sauce. Stir delicately to mix. Season with salt and pepper
  3. Cook the spaghettini until al-dente and drain. Add spaghettini to the sauce and toss to coat pasta with sauce.
  4. Serve sprinkled with the remaining finely chopped parsley.

6 comments:

  1. This looks pretty tasty! It would be a perfect recipe for when I'm tired after work. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ☼ Same here! I love tomato based sauce recipes, as opposed to creamy ones like carbonara. They are soooo tasty. ☼

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you can eat and eat without having to stop. Eat and eat and eat.........

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was great, but I found it a little bland. I modified it with 1/2 a cup of white wine, 1 tsp red chili pepper flakes and the zest of one lemon. I also added fresh grated parmigiana reggiano cheese as a garnish on top of the parsley. Totemo Oishi! I have been cooking pasta for quite a while, and I would highly suggest trying this if you already have tried this recipe! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound positively yummy!! I'll be sure to try it out next time I cook this.

      Delete

Thank you for reading. I appreciate your constructive feedback and will answer any questions you might have. Comments that are rude, abusive, written with the intent to advertise, contain profanity or considered spam will not be published.

Related Posts with Thumbnails