Thursday, February 2, 2012

pelangi bali crab fried rice


The trouble with living somewhere other than where you grew up is that you'd go through periods where you'd miss a certain type of food so intensely that you cannot think of anything else but.

In this occasion, it was the humble pangsit mie bakso.
Pangsit = wonton
Mie = noodle
Bakso = meatball

I can still vividly remember the taste of my favourite bowl of pangsit mie. The al-dente thin noodles, slick with oil. The toppings of mushrooms, minced pork and chicken liver, seasoned with a healthy dose of white pepper. The pork meatballs soup, hearty and fulfilling. I admit that it's not the healthiest of meals, but darn it, it’s tasty.

The trouble with missing something so intensely is the reality never compares with the imagination.

Some substitutes would come close, but would stop short from matching up to the original dish that has been ingrained in your tastebuds and in your mind.

Mie ayam pangsit bakso - Rp 35,800

Though we had this impossible standard, the pangsit mie bakso that my husband ordered was truly mediocre. I couldn’t quite figure out why. It was just lacking all around.

Its appearance was so convincing that I was almost persuaded. But I was instantly let down by its non-existing flavour.

Nasi goreng daging kepiting - Rp 39,800

The crab fried rice, however, was at the other end of the tasty spectrum. I was so pleased with it that I finished the entire plate of rice for two people on my own. The crab meat, spring onions, eggs, rice and seasonings combined to make an otherwise unassuming fried rice into something fantastic.

To drink we had a glass of melon juice (Rp 16,800) because they ran out of avocado, and a bottle of mineral water (Rp 5,800)

I suspect their other chinese food fare is probably not bad, alas we didn’t have the number to try them.


The restaurant though is a venue made for big occasion. Lots of tables, ample space to stretch your arms, plenty of parking spots. What I’m not quite sure of is why we were the only patrons eating there that night, it was only 8.30pm.

As to having the perfect bowl of pangsit mie bakso, I'll just have to resign myself to the fact that I may never find them at any other place than my hometown.

Pelangi Bali
Jalan Dewi Sri 7X
Kuta BALI
Open 7 days 9.30am-10pm, dimsum until 4pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I appreciate your constructive feedback and will answer any questions you might have. Comments that are rude, abusive, written with the intent to advertise, contain profanity or considered spam will not be published.

Related Posts with Thumbnails