Friday, December 17, 2010

san churro churros for two

A recent article in the New York Times, talked about a form of dieting, whereby you imagine eating the food before you eat it. They call it the Imagine Diet (link here while it lasts). The Imagine Diet works this way: before you want to eat that chocolate truffle you're really dying to eat, first you would imagine devouring one chocolate truffle after another, imagining the smell, the texture in your mouth. This apparently will take the edge of that craving and therefore make you not want to eat it as much. So, theoretically, instead of eating three choco truffles, you'd end up having just one.

This mental dieting is probably something that I should have put into practice before I went to San Churro. For the sake of my companions, more than for myself.


What is it with fried dough that tastes good? With fried anything, really. This was the first time I had churros, so I had no reference by which I could compare it to. The still warm fried dough, dusted with icing sugar, dipped in velvety milk chocolate won me over bite after bite after bite. I probably scoffed down half of the churros myself, eventhough I was supposed to share it with my three poor companions that night.

Churros for two - $13.90


We also ordered four cups of bubbacino, which were excruciatingly sweet. It was like drinking concentrated milk chocolate, with foam on top. My sister told me that they're not usually that sweet. So, I can only conclude that the staff requires more training to be a bit more consistent.

Bubbacino - $1

Getting back to those choco truffles I was talking about earlier, I also saw that they had truffles in a case display here at San Churro. But, these ones did not inspire me to put the Imagine Diet into practice. It's almost as if they're there to fill up the store, like props. I feel the same way with the display cabinet full of chocolate goodies. The churros were good, but the props, not so much, I think.


Though, I do like how they decorate the place, with the dessert inspired slogans and murals. I love the wooden chandeliers and the soft down lights, the wooden tables with inspirational words written on them. Befitting of a modernised old building.




Chocolateria San Churro on Urbanspoon
San Churro
Ground Floor, 1 Rokeby Rd
Subiaco WA
Open Monday 12pm-10pm, Tuesday-Thursday & Sunday 10am-10pm, Friday-Saturday 10am-11pm
The takeaway window is open Monday-Friday 8am-10pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I appreciate your constructive feedback and will answer any questions you might have. Comments that are rude, abusive, written with the intent to advertise, contain profanity or considered spam will not be published.

Related Posts with Thumbnails