Friday, August 7, 2009

i-feel-better-already chicken porridge

The past few weeks, a particularly nasty strain of bug has been spreading in my workplace. Everybody is dropping like flies. I wasn't feeling too super myself. Ideally, I would like to have someone cook me my most favourite comfort food, chicken porridge. Since no one was here to do that, I had to cook it myself. I don't know why, but chicken porridge always gives me that warm comfortable feeling, it chases the cold away and makes me feel so much better.

As this is my own recipe, all measurements are to my taste. I encourage you to personalise it to your own taste.


I-feel-better-already chicken porridge
by closet domestic bunny

Ingredients:
  • 4 slices of ginger (about 2mm thick)
  • spring onions (with roots removed)
  • 2 eggs
  • 6-7 chicken drumsticks
  • salt, white pepper
  • soy sauce
  • a cup of rice

Method:
  1. Place chicken drumsticks in a large pot and fill up with water until the drumsticks are fully covered. Add the same quantity of water again to the pot. So, if 2 litres of water covers the drumsticks, then the total amount of water in the pot should be 4 litres.
  2. Add the ginger slices, 4 stalks of spring onion and bring the water to the boil. Remove any froth that bubbles up. Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat to low and cover the pot. Simmer for at least 40 minutes.
  3. After 40 minutes, remove the drumsticks and spring onions from the chicken stock. Add a cup of rice to the chicken stock and continue to simmer in very low heat with the cover off. Over-boiling will boil the water out before the rice is soft, under-boiling will take ages for the rice to soften. The time for the rice to soften depends on the type of rice you use. Check every 15 minutes to stir (burnt rice at the bottom of the pot is kinda hard to remove).
  4. In the mean time, cut up thin slices of spring onion (and quarter some century egg if you have some). Separate chicken meat from the bones, return chicken meat to the pot.
  5. Once the rice has disintegrated, add salt and white pepper to taste, heat for a further 5-10 minutes.
  6. Beat two eggs together and slowly stir into the porridge. This acts as a thickener.
  7. Serve porridge in a bowl, with spring onion, soy sauce to taste and century egg if you have them.
I usually serve myself a massive bowl of porridge and eat them as a meal rather than as a side dish. I think this recipe makes about 5 massive servings of porridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I appreciate your constructive feedback and will answer any questions you might have. Comments that are rude, abusive, written with the intent to advertise, contain profanity or considered spam will not be published.

Related Posts with Thumbnails