Tuesday, October 12, 2010

hawker's cuisine sambal kang kong

I have actually blogged about Hawker’s Cuisine before. But since it was early last year and it was when I was still using my old format, with the claustrophobic 4-picture-in-a-frame photo, I feel like a brand new post is warranted.

I have been to Hawker’s Cuisine a few times since then and I haven’t been disappointed with the food yet. The service, on the other hand, is another matter. When you get a nice waitperson like I had this time, you’ll have the best service. But, when you get a rude one, well, I would just say to myself, I’m here for the food. Such are Chinese restaurants, you have to take the good with the bad.As with typical non-high-end Chinese restaurants, the décor was an afterthought. A few lanterns here, Chinese paintings there, an aquarium, bright orangey-yellow chairs, bright colour wall and presto. It’s definitely not a first date kind of restaurant, it’s more like a 30th date sort of place.


As the food is the star here, let’s talk more about it. I am not going to go on and on about it too much as I’ve already written a blog about this place already. So, what I’ll do is a one-liner description only.We had 7 people including myself this time around, so we got to order more dishes than for the last blog post I did of the place. If you compare the prices of the dishes to last year’s, you’ll find that the dishes are still priced the same. To me, that’s a really good sign, it means that they have enough customers to be profitable, so they don’t need to keep jacking the prices up.The golden prawns (without shell) had a hint of crunchiness on the outside, but mostly I love the saltiness from the salted egg yolk.

Golden prawns (without shell) - $20.80

Marmite chicken (or marmite anything else) is a must-order dish for a reason, the combination of salty and sweet gets the tastebuds going.

Marmite chicken - $14

I'm not sure who it was who told me that bean sprouts enhances fertility, but everytime I have them, this funny little info would be at the back of my mind. This particular dish was accompanied with dried salted fish.

Salted fish bean sprout - $12.80

After all this time, I still enjoy the subtle coffee-flavoured sauce that the deep fried pork ribs are coated in.

Coffee spare ribs - $14

I didn’t get to try the sambal kang kong on my last post, so I made sure this time I did and it was beautifully crunchy and mildly spicy (but not spicy enough in my opinion).

Sambal kang kong - $12.80

Another dish I still love is the delightfully silky Fuzhou tofu that literally melted in my mouth. It was accompanied with minced pork in preserved radish sauce, which weren’t bad either.

Fuzhou tofu - $ 15.80

Hawker's Cuisine on Urbanspoon
Hawker's Cuisine
17/66 Roe St
Northbridge WA
Open 6 days 5pm-1am, closed Mondays

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I appreciate your constructive feedback and will answer any questions you might have. Comments that are rude, abusive, written with the intent to advertise, contain profanity or considered spam will not be published.

Related Posts with Thumbnails