Saturday, September 24, 2011

jean pierre sancho macarons

Hot chocolate - $4
After my friend Dave came back from Bulgaria, I caught up with him over coffee to hear all about it. I always wanted to try Jean Pierre Sancho in the city since Maru told me that their bread was great, but either she forgot to mention that everything else was not great, or that I chose to ignore it, I'm not sure.

My hot chocolate was just so-so, it wasn't as thick as I'd like it to be, not as dark, not as chocolatey.

Dave, though, liked his coffee, a 7 out of 10, he said.

His tart was also good, he said.

Blueberry almond tart - $7.50
Capuccino - $4
My macarons, on the other hand, fell flat on their bums. For the life of me, I couldn't taste the distinct flavours between the macarons. When I had ladurée macarons, each macaron flavour was pronounced, chocolate tasted like chocolate, apple tasted like apple, vanilla tasted like vanilla. Let's not go as far as Paris, the macarons at Lindt were also better.

Macarons - $2 each
Pistachio, chocolate, vanilla, violet, strawberry, orange
If I had to pinpoint what it was that bothered me the most, it's the overpowering sweetness. It killed any minute difference the macarons could ever had the chance to have to oblivion. All my mind was thinking was sugar, not pistachio, or orange, or vanilla or chocolate.


I gotta admit though, the interior of the café is quite beautiful, with gleaming chandeliers, vintage wallpaper and ornate wooden chairs. The mood was just right for a long chat with a friend you haven't seen for a while, slowly sipping coffee and enjoying the dessert, while the rain is beating down outside. But, I think I shan't come back.


It was only later when Maru told me that nothing but their croissant and bread is worth having.

Jean Pierre Sancho on St Georges on Urbanspoon 
Jean Pierre Sancho
111 St Georges Tce
Perth WA
Open Monday-Friday 6.30am-4pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I appreciate your constructive feedback and will answer any questions you might have. Comments that are rude, abusive, written with the intent to advertise, contain profanity or considered spam will not be published.

Related Posts with Thumbnails