Friday, March 29, 2013

the forks, where the rivers meet

Fresh snow, fluffy, like a bowl of freshly shaved slushie. Makeshift hockey nets are at the ready on the solid Red River surface. Not far away, so is the Assiniboine River.

We're in Canada! And it's our first stop in a month long road trip, where I can officially stretch my legs a bit, freeze my ears off and enjoy the cold air. We are travelling from Toronto to Vancouver Islands, then doubling-back to Toronto and onwards to Quebec. I didn't have the luxury of time, but I tried to make each stop worthwhile.


I had one day in Winnipeg. As much as I wanted to go full steam ahead, it was the start of the road trip and I didn't want to lose steam towards the end. So, I decided to have a lazy day and spend the time at The Forks.

The market itself is somewhat small compared to the others I've been to in the country, but it's got its charms.

There's actually a lot to see and do around the Forks area. Unfortunately when I was there there wasn't much going on, which suited me just fine. So for this first post of a long series of Canadian related posts, I am going to start slow. Let's breathe in the winter air; watch workers ride a zamboni resurfacing the Red River; and giggle at teenagers and toddlers skating on the trails.

The Forks
1 Forks Market Rd
Winnipeg MANITOBA
Open Sep-Jun Sat-Thu 9.30am-6.30pm, Fri 9.30am-9pm;
Jul-Sep Mon-Sat 9.30am-9pm, Sun 9.30am-6.30pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I appreciate your constructive feedback and will answer any questions you might have. Comments that are rude, abusive, written with the intent to advertise, contain profanity or considered spam will not be published.

Related Posts with Thumbnails