Monday, November 22, 2010

spaghetti with prawns, garlic, butter & tomatoes



What do I do with four ripe tomatoes left over from a recent cook up of my grandmother’s red soup? It's such a waste if I just throw it away right? I racked my brain and came up with this almost non-recipe. The beauty of the dish is that it requires almost no effort to whip up and it uses ingredients that I already have in my pantry.

Pasta, garlic and butter are things that I always have in the pantry. I got the leftover tomatoes, so the only missing ingredient was some prawns. I went out to my local supermarket and bought a kilo of frozen, deveined, peeled prawns. The prawns can keep a while, but knowing me, it won’t last long before they're all gone (into my tummy, that is).

What I did was simple. I cooked the pasta to al-dente perfection. I minced copious amount of garlic with my new Ikea koncis garlic press (love them!). I washed the tomatoes and removed the circular green bits where the stalk meets the fruit. I squashed the tomatoes with my (clean) bare hands into a bowl.

I got the frying pan on a medium heat and covered it with a splash of olive oil. I added the tomatoes and sauté until slightly caramelised (not burnt!!). I added the garlic and sauté until fragrant. I added a spoonful of butter. If you want a more creamy sauce then add more butter. Personally, I like the tangier marinara style sauce. I then added the prawns until they turned into these lovely pink morsels.

Season well with salt and freshly ground pepper. Another tip is to add a little bit of sugar to bring out the sweet tomatoey flavour of the sauce. The sugar I added this time was a splash of midly sweet moscato I had in the fridge. Stir the pasta into the sauce and serve in a bowl topped with a bit more of freshly ground pepper.

All of this under 15 minutes. I have a feeling that I will be making it more often. It’s just too easy to make and so yummy.

But next time I would have:
  1. Opted for the Exmouth prawns in the supermarket rather than the exported-from-Thailand ones. I don’t know, to me the ones I bought lacked the natural sweetness distinctive with delicious prawns. The only reason why I bought the Thai ones was because it came in 1kg boxes, whereas the Exmouth ones came in 3kg boxes.
  2. Put some sort of herb in the sauce for more complex flavours, like oregano or basil. I still have not got around to constructing my own herb patch in the garden (soooo muccchhh efforttttt, plus I’m afraid that I will kill them all).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I appreciate your constructive feedback and will answer any questions you might have. Comments that are rude, abusive, written with the intent to advertise, contain profanity or considered spam will not be published.

Related Posts with Thumbnails