Tuesday, January 25, 2011

basic chicken stock

Chicken stock is a staple in my kitchen. I usually make a big batch every month and freeze it in a few different sized containers. Small containers to flavour things like stir-fries, or medium to big containers for soups.

Ikea pruta containers (set of 17) - $5.95

Here is my basic chicken stock recipe. I find that the celery can be a bit strong, so if you don't like the flavour of celery, you can omit it. There is really no ultimate chicken stock recipe, as long as the flavours are simple and neutral so that the stock can be used without overpowering the intended flavour of the dish.

My core ingredients are the chicken wings, onions, spring onions, garlic and carrots. Then, I would usually add in any vegetables that are sitting in my fridge at the time of cooking, that I know I'm not going to be able to use. Like the tomatoes and celery in this particular occasion.


Basic chicken stock
by closet domestic bunny

Ingredients:
  • Half a celery, rinsed, with roots removed
  • 3 carrots, roughly chopped
  • 1 onion, quartered
  • 1 bulb of garlic, peeled and crushed
  • 6 chicken wings (organic if you can)
  • 6 stalks of spring onions, cleaned, with roots removed
  • 2 tomatoes, quartered and de-seeded

Method:
  1. In a heavy bottomed pot, dump all the ingredients into the pot and fill with water until all the ingredients are covered with water. Bring to the boil.
  2. Boil for a further ten minutes while skimming the foam off the top of the stock.
  3. Season the stock with a pinch of salt and white pepper, to draw out the flavour of the chicken and the vegetables. I won't put too much because I don't want the dishes I'm using the stock for to be salty because of it.
  4. Turn down the heat until the formation of bubbles has all but ceased. Slowly simmer the ingredients for a further 3 hours. Top up the pot with boiling water every half an hours, so that the ingredients are constantly immersed in water
  5. After 3 hours, strain the stock, let cool and pour in containers, ready to be frozen.
I really get annoyed when people eat the white parts of the bread and throw away the crust; or when they go to a buffet, have a mountain of food on their plate and eat only half. Doesn't that peeve you? I don't like wasting food. What I usually do after the stock is cooked up is to set aside the chicken wings, carrots and onions with just a shallow pool of the stock and I'd have them simply with a bowl of rice for dinner, accompanied with a condiment of soy sauce and cut chilli. The chicken would be so soft that it'd just melt in my mouth, the flavours clean but hearty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I appreciate your constructive feedback and will answer any questions you might have. Comments that are rude, abusive, written with the intent to advertise, contain profanity or considered spam will not be published.

Related Posts with Thumbnails