Thursday, June 10, 2010

bamboo-shoot-hearts-prawns

One of the reasons why I heart this dish is because I can cook it whenever I want to. The bamboo shoots are canned and I usually have some frozen prawns in the freezer. I love it for the texture of the bamboo shoots combined with the sweetness of the prawns, the spiciness of the chillies and the saltiness of the soy sauce.

This dish is perfect as a side dish, I wouldn't serve it as the main dish as it is not substantial enough. It goes very well with milder dishes like my i-feel-better-already chicken porridge or my hearty tofu & pork.


Bamboo-shoot-hearts-prawns
by closet domestic bunny

Ingredients:
  • 1 can of bamboo shoots, julienned (425g canned, 250g dry weight)
  • 2 small chillies (or 1 large red chilli), chopped finely
  • 3-4 prawns, chopped into 1 cm pieces
  • soy sauce (Kikkoman's my favourite)
  • a pinch of brown sugar (or white if you don't have any)
  • 4-5 cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped finely

Method:
  1. Heat up enough canola oil to cover the frying pan thinly. On a medium heat, sauté the bamboo shoots, garlic and chillies for about 5 minutes. Add 2 tbsp of soy sauce.
  2. Add the prawns and a pinch of brown sugar. Keep stir-frying until the prawns are cooked. And remove from heat as soon as the prawns are cooked. You do not want the bamboo shoots to be overcooked because they will lose the crunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I appreciate your constructive feedback and will answer any questions you might have. Comments that are rude, abusive, written with the intent to advertise, contain profanity or considered spam will not be published.

Related Posts with Thumbnails