Wednesday, March 3, 2010

warung ibu oka babi guling

Dear faithful readers, I am not sure how many of you out there are following this blog. I hope you have been enjoying it as much as I have been writing it.

I am trying out this new format, I will start uploading one frame per picture instead of 4 frames-in-one like I have been doing in the past. One, it'll be easier on me, less time consuming, two it gives you foodies a closer view of the food. Love to hear what you think, so let me know.

I have for you, starting from today, stories of my wedding/holiday/honeymoon food adventur-ing, first in Bali then in Paris. First up is Ibu Oka's most famous babi guling (english: roast pork). In Bali, you can eat roast pork in just about every restaurant, but I beg of you, please resist that temptation and go to Ibu Oka instead. Not every roast pork is made the same and if you have made the trip to Bali, you might as well get the best.

Ibu Oka's warung (english: hut) is not easy to find if you are trying to find it yourself, the address is a bit ambiguous. But you have to be brave and ask the locals, they will know right away what you are looking for. It's that famous! Once you are in the vicinity, it's easy to find, it's the restaurant opposite the loud traditional-music-playing temple.


When we arrived we were greeted by this delicious roasting smell and this monster of a pig (already roasted) on the counter top. Our senses were completely bombarded and we were suddenly eager to please our grumbling stomachs.


While we were waiting for the dishes to arrive, we had a look around and I have to say the restaurant is not fancy and you have to sit on the rug-covered floor. People from all over the world (maybe I'm exaggerating, most are probably from Australia) don't go there for the ambiance, they go because of the quality of the food.


This was my first Ibu Oka's roast pork ever, and everyone (including lonely planet & tripadvisor) hyped it up so much that I had a ridiculously high expectation. That expectation was fully justified, when the dish arrived, we attacked them like a pair of dogs. The pork was succulently sweet, the rice fluffy, the crackle crisp and the vegetables spicy, the chilli hot. Just the combination of the side dishes together made this spectacular. It was cheap (AU$3), it was satisfying, what more can a girl want?


Nasi & babi guling spesial - IDR25,000

If you are in a particularly greedy-hungry mood, you can get extra roast pork meat for IDR30,000.

Warung Ibu Oka
Jalan Suweta / Tegal Sari no. 2
Ubud BALI
Open 7 days 11am-4pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I appreciate your constructive feedback and will answer any questions you might have. Comments that are rude, abusive, written with the intent to advertise, contain profanity or considered spam will not be published.

Related Posts with Thumbnails