Friday, April 9, 2010

charles inn dining room roasted breast of magret duck

We recently had our civil ceremony in this beautiful British inn called the Charles Inn. We had the place virtually to ourselves as it was the low season. The hotel staff was attentive, courteous and friendly. Eventhough the weather wasn't on our side (it was pouring buckets), I couldn't have asked for a better day.

We were so pre-occupied the whole day that we went straight to dinner without having lunch. We were starving. Luckily, we were the first to arrive for dinner. The waiter was attentive, prompt and cheerful, he took the time to explain everything to us.

The Charles Inn Dining Room, like the rest of the hotel, was decorated in this tasteful, elegant way, with crystal chandeliers hanging on the ceiling.


Before our mains arrived, we had two cups of pumpkin soup, which were so hearty and warming, and complimentary too. My husband ordered the grilled tenderloin of beef that came with root vegetable succotash, baked herb scented polenta, roasted garlic & parmesan foam and simple beef jus. To me it tasted like a normal tenderloin beef steak, but he seemed to really liked it and polished the whole dish off.

Grilled tenderloin of beef - $38

I had the roasted breast of magret duck, which were marvellous. I ordered this, because I was intrigued by the taro root purée. It also had stir fried broccoli, sugar snap peas, baby carrot and bokchoy, with 5 spiced confit spring roll and ginger lime jus in the dish.

Roasted breast of magret duck - $35

As you may know, I am not a fan of raw food. The duck was done medium raw and normally I would not eat it. But, either it's the hunger taking over, or it's because it's really good, I was savouring it. Yes, savouring it, not just chewing and swallowing, but savouring it. I can really taste the duck, and the jus brought the whole dish together. There's so much going on in my plate, that I didn't know what to eat first. But rest assured, I polished my whole dish off too.

Be warned, as with all fine dining restaurant, portions are not huge, they're more about quality than quantity. Sadly, we were still starving afterwards.

Charles Inn Dining Room on Urbanspoon
Charles Inn Dining Room

209 Queen St
Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON
Open 7 days for breakfast, afternoon tea and dinner until late


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I appreciate your constructive feedback and will answer any questions you might have. Comments that are rude, abusive, written with the intent to advertise, contain profanity or considered spam will not be published.

Related Posts with Thumbnails