Thursday, April 2, 2009

clairault aromatic pressed pork

It's a bit chilly tonight, like last night. This weather is calling me to have a sip of my Harmans Ridge Estate Megan Salmon Sparkling wine. It's not my most favourite, as it is a bit dry. I am a bit of a sweet tooth.

One of the things I promised myself do when I went to Margaret River, was to eat in a winery restaurant. I did just that with Clairault. The restaurant was set on a heavy wooden deck surrounded by majestic Marri trees. Inside there was a fireplace, which undoubtedly will be lit during winter. When we were there, the sun gave us plenty of warmth. I found the place quite formal, but interestingly rustic at the same time.

Aromatic pressed pork, slow roasted apple, spices, fennel + carrot salad, sheep yoghurt - $38.00
Margaret river venison fillet, salt roasted kipfler, silky hommus, muhummara, quince vincotto, soft herbs - $39.00

I enjoyed the pressed pork, and the venison fillet was also good. They were typical of high-end restaurant food, small portions, beautifully laid out, yet not filling. I think for it to be filling I would have to supplement it with lots of wine and dessert. My suggestion is have the wine-tasting first, then you would know what to order to complement your food. Or if you are stingy like me, drink as much as you can in the wine-tasting, have lunch, go to another winery and repeat the process. After I had enough of the luscious wines, we went to the nearest beach to watch the sun go down.

But, I am not doing the food justice. Let me explain. I found the pork to be quite yummy. The salad did have a strong flavour, the chef deliberately did that and served sheep yoghurt on the side to counteract it. I didn't get to taste much of the venison because I can't stand raw meat. But the bit that I did taste, was coated with the sauce, and tasted quite good.

Clairault Estate on Urbanspoon
Clairault Estate
3277 Caves Road
Wilyabrup WA

Open 7 days 12pm-3.30pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I appreciate your constructive feedback and will answer any questions you might have. Comments that are rude, abusive, written with the intent to advertise, contain profanity or considered spam will not be published.

Related Posts with Thumbnails